Sunday, February 22, 2009

Love and Marriage

Recently I was privy to a conversation I would have rather not had. An older wife asked me to help her fill out an Advanced Directive for her husband. She was quite adamant about not wanting to give him any type of medical help and stated that she preferred he just go. I looked at her in shock and pity thinking, "What has happened in this Christian marriage that she hates him so much?" I asked her son about their past and he shared about an unstable, extremely rocky childhood. His father sounded mentally unstable and it made for an unstable unhealthy marriage. I, myself had often heard hurtful remarks directed at this woman from this man's mouth but it just saddened me to hear these words from her lips and hurt for her unhappiness. It just makes the hurdles that my own husband and I have overcome together all the more the miracle. It says in Colossians 3:18-19 "Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them. " God tells women to respect their husbands and for husbands to give love to their wives. It's easy for each to do the opposite but that is why God gives such a command. It is needed to keep them on the marriage merry-go-round. If someone does not get what he/she needs, then they can't give what the other needs. If you have difficulty giving what God commanded then ask God to work on your heart so that you can.

No comments: